ambiguous ?

Michael Hunter bagpiper at pnet02.gryphon.com
Mon Oct 16 10:20:17 AEST 1989

In the following code fragment is line 3 ambiguous from an X3J11 standpoint
or from a historical standpoint.

1) int Ret ;
2)
3) func(Ret = func2(), Ret+30) ;

I wouldn't normally write code like this, but I ran across code similar to
this in a program I am maintaining, and, as long as it isn't ambigous to some
large subset of the existing compilers, I will probably leave it be.

*Ambiguous is probably not the right word...at least to a specific compiler,
since a specific compile will probably evaluate func's parameters in a
consistent manner.  What I am worried about is if there exists two compilers A
and B such that A evaulates the parameters of func R to L and B evaluates the
parameters of func L to R.

                                        Michael
PS  What is the status of ANSI C?  Has the proposed standard passed the X3
committee?  If so when and where can I get of copy of the standard (and for
how much).  If not, how much longer does it appear that it will take for it to
be passed.

Mike Hunter - Box's and CPU's from HELL: iapx80[012]86, PR1ME 50 Series, 1750a
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper at pnet02.gryphon.com