Strings in C (Re: ambiguous ?)

6600pete at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 6600pete at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Sat Oct 28 14:02:50 AEST 1989

In article <6706 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> I said:
>>In most Macintosh C compilers that I've seen, the syntax !"%p...."! is
> In article <2742 at hub.UUCP> pete at cavevax.ucsb.edu writes:
>> Actually, the syntax is "\p...",
> Ack. (takes aim at foot)
>> but that's only a nit I had to pick.
> I'm afraid it's not nitpicking. !\p! is an extension that doesn't conflict
> with existing non-Mac code or working ANSI code. It's reasonable. I thought
> it was !%p!, which conflict with "pointer" format in ANSI C.
> (*BANG*)

OK, everybody seems to be shooting themselves in the foot on this one.
Until we get a real Mac C type with the balls to post in this group, I
volunteer to shut up, after the next paragraph.

So far, we've concluded that Mac C compilers generally support BOTH
"\p..." AND  "%p" in different contexts, for different things (and if
you think about it a little, I won't have to explain it and take FURTHER
risks of shooting myself in the foot).

Direct pro-Mac-C flames to mail, please. I hack the Mac (Mack), but in
Pascal and assembly, thank you.