Standard Clarification

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Fri Oct 27 08:43:10 AEST 1989

In article <11374 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Isn't the preprocessor legally and morally bound to recursively
>>substitute macros, at least until a cycle is found?
>Yes; I suspect in the case you reported the compiler failed to look
>beyond the replacement buffer for the () necessary for the getchar()
>expansion to be triggered.  That's a bug.

Which is fixed in MSC 5.1 (I believe).  At least, it's fixed in our Latest
and Greatest compilers for SCO *nix, which are based on MSC 5.1 currently.

Horrible looking code is generated, though (C code, not the assembly).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
seanf at sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._