A solution to the multiple inclusion problem

Jeremy G Harris jgh at root.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 20:25:28 AEST 1989

In article <2185 at dataio.Data-IO.COM> bright at dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
>Integrating the preprocessor into the parser is a big performance win
>because you save a file write and read of the source.

Except on a multiprocessor system.  Assuming decent comms bandwidth between
processors, it should make sense to split the compiler up fairly finely and
pipeline the work.

I know that more modern 'make' variants help somewhat, but I'd like to give
those sixteen processors in our Sequent real work to do even when I'm only
compiling one or two files.

So, has anyone done this, and measured the results?  We want information!

Jeremy Harris			jgh at root.co.uk