Pascal to C (and vice versa)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Oct 26 08:52:27 AEST 1989

In article <10999 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond at riks. (Norman Diamond) writes:
> In article <20355 at mimsy.umd.edu> chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
> >It is worth noting that [a program using SET OF CHAR] is not standard
> >Pascal...

> Just like any C program that contains more than one function-like macro
> is not standard C, eh?

[i.e., it's a quality-of-implementation consideration ]

This is a different order of magnitude than only allowing one function-like
macro. A Pascal that does not allow !set of char! is atill quite usable.

For what it's worth, I've never seen !set of char! used in a Pascal program,
out of the old Berkeley pi/px compiler, UCSD, a couple of micro cross-
compilers, and Turbo (which is to Pascal as Ratfor is to Fortran-77). I
know that at least one of the micro systems didn't allow it (probably both,
they were from the same vendor), and neither did UCSD.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'