The final word on GOTO (Don't I wis

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 3 03:36:57 AEST 1989

>From article <1044 at kim.misemi>, by kim at kim.misemi (Kim Letkeman):
> True. A big procedure is not necessarily badly structured. But that
> does not make it easy to read. In fact, a procedure that grows beyond
> your immediate field of view (24 lines on terminals, more on listings
> and workstations) is *automatically* harder to read since you have
> less context within your immediate grasp.

Splitting some codes into several different routines may also be
*automatically* harder to read.  There is a difference between
modularization and fragmentation.  The line between varies according
to the type of problem and the style of programming used.  I have
seen thousand line codes which were perfectly coherent.  I have also
seen 24 line code which should have been modularized.