This one bit me today

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Oct 25 03:55:11 AEST 1989

In article <2651 at hub.UUCP>, dougp at voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:

|  A #define that would replace text even within tokens so I could
|  do something like
|
|  #define @ *

  Yecch! As my youngest used to say "yucckie-poo!". I can see the side
effects of in-token substitution:
	#define put get
The parser would be a bear, since every part of every token would have
to be checked. The only use for this I can see is to compete in the
obfuscated C contest.

  You can do operator overloading in a number of languages.

|  I'd also like to see /# comment #/ as the nested comment charactor
|  (can anyone think of a way /# or #/ would look like some other
|  operation like /* can?) maby /* */ can be sent the way of =*

  There is already a way to comment out code which doesn't depend on any
nested whatever: #if 0 ... #endif does nicely, and IT can be nested. I
think adding /# is unnecessary and replacing it would break too many
programs. I do agree that /* was not the best idea for a comment
delimiter, but hindsight is wonderful. I think a previously unused
symbol like $ as a comment inducer would be nice, but that's an American
symbol and would have to be replaced by a triglyph. I certainly wouldn't
suggest a change now because the problems are slight and well known.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon