ambiguous ?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Oct 21 03:25:08 AEST 1989

In article <14092 at lanl.gov> jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
> the current discussion, the only way to get a reliable evaluation order
> for the function arguments is to do redundant assignments in previous
> statements.  Most C compilers are _VERY_ bad a optimizing such sequences.)

Yes, this is true. However, the only time this matters is when your function
arguments have a side effect; when this occurs in more than one argument; and
when the side effect interact. This allows the compiler to optimise for the
common case at the expense of a rare case.

> I am a reasonably experienced C programmer.

You are an experienced Fortran programmer who has learned to speak C
fluently. You don't think in it, as is demonstrated by your frequent
postings flaming about this or that aspect of C that offends you.

I think it's time for comp.lang.jim-giles-and-herman-rubin.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'