Elevators (was: Einstein (was: ambiguous))

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Oct 31 10:59:48 AEST 1989

In article <11038 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond at ws.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>But it also can't be programmed in C!!!!  ANSI says that the execution
>character set must include a carriage return, audible alarm (well --
>I guess an elevator has that), vertical tab (does an elevator have
>that?), horizontal tab, and a bunch of ASCII-like characters.  And
>you gotta have fseek().  Anyone want to design a C standard for a
>stand-alone environment, which ANSI forgot to do?

Please read the standard before you say such things.  This is a "free-
standing" implementation, which is *not* required to provide fseek()
and the like.  And while the various characters are still required to
exist in the character set, there is no requirement (in either hosted
or free-standing implementations) that any device capable of doing
anything useful with them be present.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu