This one bit me today

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Wed Oct 25 12:53:23 AEST 1989

In article <509 at sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:
>In article <1989Oct23.161744.29153 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>Nobody has ever quite gotten around to using `@' in C.
>
>I know, we'll use @ for nested comments!  :-)

It's been done.  (The timestamp on the hardcopy is 02:09 03-Apr-1980, but I
think I must have written it a couple of years before that.)  Actually, I used
/@...@/ for the nestable comment, and implemented a few other "improvements"
that couldn't be done with simple preprocessor abuse.  But I was a C novice
back then, and hadn't noticed that #if...#endif does the job better.

(The other advantage of that notation is that it gave me an excuse to use the
graphic __@/ , which should be familiar to anyone who consulted OLIVER the
Bookie or was a member of the Caltech Odd Hack Committee.)