bits in an int vs. long?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Oct 5 23:43:34 AEST 1989

In article <181 at inpnms.UUCP> logan at inpnms.UUCP (James Logan) writes:
>Unless there is a clear real-world argument against the
>assumption that int's and long's are the same size, I will have
>to treat the two as interchangeable.  Comments?

I don't have a good solution for the problem you're stuck with,
since such assumptions should never have been made in the first
place.

The AT&T MC680x0 compiler I use is configured for sizeof(int)==2
and sizeof(long)==4.  That's a fairly common choice on smaller
CPU architectures.

I haven't seen many C implementations where longs are 64 bits,
but there are some and it is likely to become more common in the
future.