Help...

Ray Dunn ray at philmtl.philips.ca
Tue Oct 17 04:25:35 AEST 1989

In article <143 at .rsp.is> orn at rsp.is (Orn E. Hansen) writes:
>> Randomly trying things, in the absence of an understanding of what's
>> really going on, is no way to solve a computer problem.
>>
>Randomly trying things gives you a multiple perspective to observe a single
>point.  Sometimes called SCIENCE, and used to gain new ways and methods to
>help humanity on it's path through life.

Randomly trying things **to solve a computer software problem** is probably
the single most abhorent thing I have to contend with when dealing with
junior (and sometimes not-so-junior) programmers.

The chaos is not caused when this "technique" is used to explore the limits
of the problem, but when it is used to find a "solution" (i.e.  "that has
made the problem go away = the problem has been solved").

Ray Dunn.                    | UUCP: ray at philmt.philips.ca
Philips Electronics Ltd.     |       ..!{uunet|philapd|philabs}!philmtl!ray
600 Dr Frederik Philips Blvd | TEL : (514) 744-8200  Ext : 2347 (Phonemail)
St Laurent. Quebec.  H4M 2S9 | FAX : (514) 744-6455  TLX : 05-824090