TO C OR NOT TO *C

Jon Hogan-doran jon_hogan-doran%713.600 at fidogate.fido.oz
Wed Oct 11 05:07:08 AEST 1989

Original to: all
Hmm. While reading through my Microsoft C Manual, under the
stdio section , it said (something like this) that getc(fd)
returned an int value .. and yet later on he gave an example
(something like this):

char ch;
ch=getc(ttyd);

Being only a self-taught Hacker [TRAD] of C-Source, i've
never quit understanded, or new, what happened in classes
like this; and what C does. I also wondered what happened
when:

e.g char ch, int i, unsigned int uni,

char *getprt(); (returns a pointer to the char)
int getint();

E.G 1:      i=getprt
E.G 2:     ch=getprt

Also.. if i have an int value, does :

this work:

      uni=(unsigned)(i) or (unsigned)i
      (I'm not worries about the syntax - only the result !)

Also   :  char *chprt

no later on does
        ... chprt=(some func that returns a pointer)
             ^-|
               Does this mean "char *chprt" or "char chptr"
                if it is: "char *chprt" then does

           *chprt=(some func that returns a pointer)
             ^-|
                Does this mean "char *chprt" here or "char **chprt"

ETC... ETC...
Now if you know the ANSWERS to these problems pleas reply !!!
1. No "I think that its...." - Thinks are know good - I
   want the whole truth and nothing but the TRUTH"

yr. sincrerly

[JON] Hogan-doran Hacked [TRAD]

--- TMail v1.12b
 * Origin: Prophet TBBS - First TBBS in Australia (3:713/600)