A solution to the multiple inclusion problem

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Thu Oct 26 02:41:45 AEST 1989

In article <11396 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>      I propose a solution via compiler optimization.
>
>Your solution does not at all seem to me to preserve existing semantics.

Can you elaborate on this, Doug?  Seems to me like what he was proposing --
have compiler recognize files bracketed with `#ifndef FOO_H' and remember
the bracketing -- comes under the "as if" rule.  Re-including such a file
with FOO_H defined cannot possibly have any effect except to slow down
the compilation.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu