threads for C/C++ under Unix?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Oct 14 03:08:46 AEST 1989

In article <8720 at goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones at megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>> You can't have preemptive lightweight processes without kernel support.
>
>Hmmm. What kind of kernel support do you need? All that's necessary, I think,
>is that it have a "select" routine which can wake up when potentially
>blocking system calls would not block. Like Unix does.

You need three pieces of kernel support:  a way to tell when a system call
would block, a way to initiate such an operation without waiting for
completion, and a way to be informed of completion.  "Unix" does *not*
have such things; some *variants* of Unix do... and some don't.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu