ambiguous ?

Jim Giles jlg at lanl.gov
Tue Oct 24 07:55:29 AEST 1989

>From article <6638 at ficc.uu.net>, by peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> If you believe this I'd suggest you look into topics like object-oriented
> languages, languages with generators, and so on. There you will find your
> established literature supporting side-effects.

No, I will find literature about languages which have side effects built
into their expressions.  I will not find literature here that establishes
that it is a good idea to do so.  It is particularly hard to do such
research and few have attempted it.  So far, side effects haven't fared
too well.  Since I do considerable research on language design, I have
probably read most of the books/articles that you are recommending - as
well as others.

However, if you really want my opinion on this:  the programming language
should have no built-in operators with side effects and should have no
intrinsic functions with side effects.  The user can define functions
and operators to do anything he wants - side effects or not.