Large arrays in MSDOS

David M. Read readdm at walt.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 03:36:09 AEST 1989

In article <4010005 at hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> scott at hpcvca.CV.HP.COM  writes:

>Hello,
>
>I've been having a problem trying to use an array greater than 64k on
>an msdos machine.  What I have is the following:

Remember that the 80x86 processors use segmented architecture, so 64K is
a kind of barrier.  The way to get around the barrier is with use of the
'huge' keyword.  Read the manuals closely, for there are some limitations
on what you can do with it.

David M. Read                        best -=>  readdm at walt.cc.utexas.edu
                           all-else-fails -=>  read at physics.utexas.edu

"...[he's] stupid and he's ignorant but he's got guts...and guts is enough!"