turbo C memory question

Kevin R. Minor kminor at ms.uky.edu
Wed Oct 25 17:35:16 AEST 1989

Hello.
I have a couple of questions about Turbo C and how it handles
memory.

1.  What would be the best function to use to see how much
available RAM I have?  Looks like coreleft () is the best
choice.

2.  How does Turbo C use memory, in terms of variables and such?

I guess I should explain what I want to do.  I am wanting to create
an array which depends on the RAM of the specific computer. (if the
computer only has 256k, don't allocate as much.)  I know that
malloc () will give me the memory I need, but what I'm not sure about
is the overhead of other routines.  I have set aside 10,000 bytes
for my stack.  Does other memory get used besides the stack, or would
I be safe to allocate the unused RAM for my array?

Thanks in advance.
Kevin (kminor at ms.uky.edu)

--
Not much going on around here.