Type punning in C

Herman Rubin cik at l.cc.purdue.edu
Fri Oct 13 22:57:21 AEST 1989

In article <10950 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp>, diamond at csl.sony.co.jp (Norman Diamond) writes:

> On the other hand, how many hardware architectures have instructions
> to transfer directly between integer registers and floating registers?
> Usually you have to store it to RAM and load it back anyway.

Most of the machines I am familiar with either have registers which can
be used for integer or floating point arguments.  Some of them have
an index type (shorter integer) but those can convert between short
integer and long..  These machines include VAX, PYRAMID, CDC 6x00
and descendents, CRAY, CYBER 205 and ETA 10, and even vector mode
on the IBM 3090.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin at l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)