parsing the format string at compile time...

Rahul Dhesi dhesi at sun505.UUCP
Wed Oct 18 15:21:54 AEST 1989

>|      If C did allow this, it would not be C.  The compiler knows
>| nothing about any functions, including I/O.
>
>Wrong.  The ANSI standard...

Another typical Usenet example of crosstalk.  Person A, thinking of
traditional C, says something that is true in that context.  Person B
(posting from a place where nothing happens), assuming C means ANSI C,
immediately contradicts.

Rephrasing:

     If traditional C did allow this, it would not be traditional C.
     The traditional C compiler knows nothing about any functions,
     including I/O.

     Right.  However, the ANSI standard...

Now wasn't that better?

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi
Do not use From: address for reply if it contains "sun".