Type punning in C

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at cdis-1.uucp
Mon Oct 9 06:33:48 AEST 1989

henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
) If your compiler won't put unions into registers, complain to
) your supplier.
Done, long ago.  Our internal reference shows it as our item
"pfc155.c" of 15-Jan-87, vendor's reference number 0380101.

The vendor's comment?  He said that they don't have to put unions
in registers because "register" is just a hint, and they're free to
do whatever they want to.
--
Cutting half of passenger service | {bpa,uunet}!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner
Mulroney: "cold froze our brains" | {attctc gatech!uflorida}!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner