swap(x,y)

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.co.jp
Thu Sep 21 20:48:32 AEST 1989

In article <714 at philmtl.philips.ca> ray at philmtl.philips.ca (Raymond Dunn) writes:

>>This sounds dangerously like the arguments made by Herman Rubin that 'C'
>>should provide facilities to access all the functionality of the machine
>>architecture in some direct way.
>>Since when was that the goal of *any* language other than assemblers?

Actually, a recent posting pointed out that many of the features that
made it into C and even Fortran *did* come about because of this goal.
Only perhaps the goal was not stated as such.

In article <14706 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

>Examples do exist.  PL/M-86 and BLISS come to mind.  Every so often
>someone at a big computer company decides that assembler is too
>dangerous for systems programmers to use (I don't necessarily disagree)
>and comes up with a higher level language that has to-the-metal
>facilities built in.

Well, PL/M wasn't such a good example of this.  Intel's assembler is a
higher-level language than PL/M, and easier to use!

Norman Diamond, Sony Corporation (diamond at ws.sony.junet)
  The above opinions are inherited by your machine's init process (pid 1),
  after being disowned and orphaned.  However, if you see this at Waterloo or
  Anterior, then their administrators must have approved of these opinions.