Re^2: Oh noooooo!!

Bob Knighten knighten at pinocchio
Thu Sep 14 03:26:59 AEST 1989

In article <556 at tigger.planet.bt.co.uk>, raph at tigger (Raphael Mankin) writes:

>Before most readers of this new group were born, Dijkstra wrote an
>article called Uncontrolled use of Goto Considered Harmful. It was
>		^^^^^^
>not called 'Goto considered Harmful'.

Well, actually Dijkstra wrote a Letter to the Editor of the Communications of
the ACM (CACM, vol. 11, no. 3 (March 1968) pp. 147-148) which has the heading
"Go To Statement Considered Harmful".  And the second sentence of that letter
contains the statement ". . . and I have become convinced that the go to
statement should be abolished from all ``higher level'' programming languages
(i.e. everything except, perhaps, plain machine code)."

That raised the adrenalin level!
--
Bob Knighten                        Encore Computer Corp.
(508) 460-0500 ext. 2626	    257 Cedar Hill St.