Inlining -- what happened to the inline keyword

Bob Devine devine at shodha.dec.com
Fri Sep 15 04:19:50 AEST 1989

In article <2127 at dataio.Data-IO.COM>, bright at Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) writes:
> <<C is now mature, standard, and therefore obsolete.
>
> Perhaps an analogy would help. As anyone who works on jet fighter aircraft
> design knows, as soon as you freeze the design in order to put the plane
> into production, it is obsolete. The reason is that the design stands still,
> while technological progress moves forward continuously.

  This is a strange use of the word "obsolete".  While I would agree
that a static product may be on a path towards obsolescence, such a
path may be very long.

  The key question is if C is still useful (ie non-obsolete) in its
standardized form.  I think it is.  In fact, it may be more so now
that I won't have to #ifdef the disparate chunks of code between
different systems that proport to support C.

Bob Devine