effect of free()

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Sep 9 14:03:59 AEST 1989

In article <247 at bbxeng.UUCP> scott at bbxeng.UUCP (Engineering) writes:
>In other words - you cannot even *test* a pointer unless you are *sure*
>there is a valid address in it.

More or less.

>I don't think so.

You could send comments to the next ANSI C standards committee asking that
this be changed.

>Is NULL some kind of special exception?

Yes.  Nil pointers have always been special exceptions on many machines.

>Before we waste anymore bandwidth with this topic,

Too late.

>does anybody actually know a specific architecture and C compiler combination
>that would cause a problem on a pointer compare?

No, no one knows of any such combination.  It is highly unlikely that
any such combination exists, or ever would be written, although I did
describe how to construct one quite recently.