effect of free()

Charles Marslett chasm at attctc.Dallas.TX.US
Wed Sep 13 04:59:19 AEST 1989

In article <10988 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <1465 at levels.sait.edu.au> CCDN at levels.sait.edu.au (DAVID NEWALL) writes:
> >a machine that *did* trap in such a case, would be decidedly unfriendly.
>
> while letting you continue to play with pointers that point absolutely
> nowhere would be friendly??

Most assuredly yes -- I have often kept lists of freed pointers (to identify
which were "not really" pointers for example), and the necessity of doing
a large number of (error prone) operations to avoid traps laid by the
computer makers and compiler standards writers does make me decidedly
unfriendly.  So I must assume that the inciting action was also unfriendly
;^).

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm at attctc.dallas.tx.us