quotes inside #if 0

Christoph Kuenkel ckl at uwbln.UUCP
Mon Sep 11 18:28:15 AEST 1989

In article <32905 at ism780c.isc.com>, news at ism780c.isc.com (News system) writes:

> PS: I have heard that Unix release 5.4 uses two compilers.  One to compile
> Unix and one (ANSII) for new programs.  Does any one know if this is true?

It seems to be one compiler that supports three modes:

 - transitional mode (supports ``full ansi'', accepts any k&r source, uses
   k&r semantics, warns if semantics differ)
 - ansi mode (supports ``full ansi'', uses ansi semantics, warns if
   semantics differ)
 - ansi conforming mode (supports ``full ansi'', uses ansi semantics, warns if
   semantics differ, no non ansi names in namespace)

modes are switched to with compiler flag (-X{t,a,c}).  this information is
from the at&t/sun software developer conference.

christoph