The free() thing and function names

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Sep 17 10:01:23 AEST 1989

In article <29562 at news.Think.COM> barmar at think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>I thought implementation-provided libraries were required to use an
>internal, underscore-prefixed name for all the standard library
>functions, precisely to allow users to override the normal names.

No, in fact (strictly conforming) programs are PROHIBITED from
attempting to override the standard library function names.

>I remember these rules being discussed quite a bit a few years ago.
>Did they not make it into the pANS?

What made it into the pANS is what I said.  It was certainly discussed
in detail by X3J11 and that's what they decided.  I fully support this
decision.  There are good reasons for this constraint.