evaluating math w/o recompile

Joe English jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu
Sun Sep 17 16:44:27 AEST 1989

zador-anthony at CS.YALE.EDU (anthony zador) writes:
>I would like to be able to specify the form of the function f
>at *run time* (no recompiles). That is, i would like
>to place a line of math
>in some file and have the program read it in and evaluate it.

How about writing a set of math interface
functions that take, instead of a fixed set of parameters,
an argv/argc pair?  I'm doing something like that right
now in a report generator I'm writing:

enum valuetype {  vInt, vFloat, vString ... };

typedef struct {
   enum valuetype tag;
   union {
      int ival;
      double fval;
      char *sval;
   } datum;
} value;

Then for the interface function:

value somefunc(int argc,value *argv)

{
    /* use argc parameters from the argv array.  Type-checking
       of arguments is done by the parser & function
       lookup table.
    */
}

If you don't need full generality, you can use
'double *argv'.

--Joe English

  jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu