effect of free()

Engineering scott at bbxeng.UUCP
Sat Sep 9 02:17:14 AEST 1989

 In article <10973 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
 >In article <1010 at m3.mfci.UUCP> karzes at mfci.UUCP (Tom Karzes) writes:
 >>Nonsense.  There are no indirect or indexed references in the code above,
 >>hence no opportunities for invalid address traps.  Period.

 >cause an exception on some reasonable architectures.  Exclamation point.

In other words - you cannot even *test* a pointer unless you are *sure*
there is a valid address in it.  I don't think so.  Is NULL some kind
of special exception?  Before we waste anymore bandwidth with this topic,
does anybody actually know a specific architecture and C compiler combination
that would cause a problem on a pointer compare?