Time to standardize "true" and "false"

Cesar Quiroz quiroz at cs.rochester.edu
Fri Sep 29 02:30:05 AEST 1989

In <8862 at etana.tut.fi>, pl at etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) suggested
that the bogus "optimization"
| 	Then suddenly just behind the corner cames C-compiler from
| 	ACME-corporation and realizes '!!a' -> negation of negation is
| 	same as original -> we can optimize it away.
could make !!a be just good old a, instead of guaranteed 0 or 1.

Either such compiler exists, in whose case it is broken and we
should not lose much sleep over it, or it doesn't.  My impression is
that it doesn't, barring better information from the poster.   That
would be a really poor case of arguing from the incompetence of a
non-existent compiler.  Madness lies that way; opposing or
supporting something just because some compiler could, perhaps,
maybe, if we try hard enough, screw up the language is ridiculous.

If you know of a compiler that makes that mistake, expose it to the
community, that may get it fixed (or at least may make it reasonable
to be extra cautious when having to use the critter).  Else, please
don't invent it just for the sake of argument.
--
                                      Cesar Augusto Quiroz Gonzalez
                                      Department of Computer Science