Abandon NULL for (0)

Scott Amspoker scott at bbxsda.UUCP
Sat Sep 23 01:50:16 AEST 1989

In article <17505 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jas at postgres.berkeley.edu (Jim Shankland) writes:

 >>At home I use 0 for a null pointer.  I test pointers with expressions
 >>like:
 >>       if (pointer)...			/* at home */
 >>       if (!pointer)...
 >
 >Stylistically a little dubious, in my opinion, but certainly widely
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess that's where personal preference comes in.  I consider it
a lot easier to read that way (and to type in :-).

 >>as opposed to
 >>
 >>       if (pointer!=(char *)0)		/* at work */
 >>
 >Modern C compilers will reliably generate warnings on this if `pointer'
 >has any type other than `char *'.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this.  It was simply a general example.  Of
course I would use the appropriate pointer type in the cast.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM