Weird problem with C compiler under SCO - I can't believe it!

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sat Sep 30 03:13:36 AEST 1989

In article <599 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>|  The classes of reserved identifiers are admittedly annoyingly large, but
>|  the promise to reserve nothing else is of considerable importance.
>
>  But they *didn't* promise not to, they said they haven't yet...

No, they said that no other identifiers are reserved.  Period.  Full stop.
No implementation that conforms to this standard can reserve any other
identifiers.  None.  Zero.  Not just today, *ever*.  How much more of a
promise do you want?

>  There are no promises for the future, only the present standard...

I don't understand why you think today's standard could possibly make any
sort of promise that would be binding on a future standard which you have
already assumed will be incompatible with the current one, i.e. will
break promises made in the current one.  (If it is compatible, it will
keep the current one's promise and not reserve any more names.)
--
"Where is D.D. Harriman now,   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
when we really *need* him?"    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu