The final word on GOTO (Don't I wis

ihor.j.kinal ijk at cbnewsh.ATT.COM
Tue Sep 26 07:58:20 AEST 1989

In article <225800222 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> I would consider a goto harmful IF and ONLY IF it produced a
> bug in a program.

Well, what if it took the NEXT poor programmer who maintains  that
program an extra week to understand what it does ???  Or even
an extra minute ??? [each and every time it was examined - it might
add up to a lot].

Suppose that the goto was bug-free, but increased the chance of
bugs in subsequent fixes/ changes to the program??  Even if the
bugs never actually occur?

I think we forget that in the software world, MOST of the effort
goes in maintaining code that was written by someone else.

Ihor Kinal
<include standard disclaimers.