source for included included files

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Sun Sep 10 14:48:56 AEST 1989

I have regularly been inconvenienced by various vendors' #include search
logic.  (Maybe "logic" is too strong a word. :-) )  Most recently I
slapped together a "temp compile" script for use under a client's "vi".
(No mail about EMACS please; I know, I know!)  I wrote the current file
to something in /tmp and ran that through "cc -S".  Boom, quoted
includes blew up.  Fortunately the -I switch in SV3.2 cc handles "x.h"
and not just <x.h> so that circumvented the problem in most cases; but
editing a file in another directory was tougher.

I think it was kind of stupid not to suggest some rules about what a
compiler should do IF directories exist in the host environment.  Even
where they don't, there's often a comparable concept (floppy drives,
account #s, volumes etc).  Real authors distributing real software have
to deal with junk like this.  Guidelines would be nice.
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,	\)	Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.		(\	tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET