effect of free()

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Sep 14 08:44:51 AEST 1989

In article <gZ3LTWu00Xc8M0Nm0l at andrew.cmu.edu> jdr+ at andrew.cmu.edu
(Jeff Rosenfeld) writes:
>I can't believe this went so long without a response.

It went about 15 minutes without a response.  CMU really ought to have
all the followups on this already....

>Similarly, the only segemented architecture with which I am familiar
>(80*86) does even allow any operations on segment registers save load,
>push, and validate (or some such).

Here you are wrong: the 80x86 has `load', `store', `push', and `pop'
for segment registers.  Unfortunately, `load' implies `validate' (presumably
`pop' does as well).

>The key is that with segments, dereferencing begins by loading a
>segement register. Get it?

No, the key is that with segments, merely loading the segment register
can cause a trap, and merely mentioning the value of a pointer variable
(such as in `if (ptr == NULL)') may load a segment register.