Gamma function: implementation?

Brian Woodroffe bww at hpqtdla.HP.COM
Fri Sep 15 17:47:54 AEST 1989

I am trying to implement a port of a program that calls for a
"gamma" function.  Unfortunately the compiler / math's library
I am using does not have such a function.  Can any one post,
or mail me a copy of a PD - C program to implement a gamma
function?

As second question; what is a gamma function anyway? (I understand
that a factorial is the degenerate integer case.)  And what is a
gamma function used for and where?

Thank you,
Brian Woodroffe.

PS:  I am interrested in an implementation that is accurate enough
for 24-bit significand and a 7 bit exponent; base 2; ie single precision.

| Brian Woodroffe                |                                   |
| Hewlett Packard Ltd            | ARPA:   bww at hpsqf                 |
| Queensferry Telecomms Division |         bww%hpsqf at hplabs.hp.com   |
| South Queensferry              | UUCP:   ..!hplabs!hpsqf!bww       |
| West Lothian                   | JANET:  bww%hpqtdla at hpl.hp.co.uk  |
| Scotland EH30 9TG.             | PHONE:  +44-31-331-7234           |