Wanted: Gaussian Random Number Generator

Dan Needham dann at hpsad.HP.COM
Fri Sep 22 08:47:29 AEST 1989

				-cj
				cj at hpsad.hp.com

----------

I had to do this once in school and still have the paper I wrote it down on.
This part of the program was handed out by the professor.

function [a,b] = grv(sigma)
% Generates a pair of Gaussian random variables with mean zero, variance sigma

rand('uniform');        % Generates #'s between [0,1]
pi = 3.1415927;

p2 = 2*pi*rand(1);
p1 = (-2) * log(rand(1));

a = sigma * sqrt(p1) * cos(p2);