Named Blocks (Was Re: Oh noooooo!!)

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat Sep 9 00:19:41 AEST 1989

In article <7818 at goofy.megatest.UUCP> djones at megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
-Or, I could get by just fine with an editor that could name and
-hide blocks, and store such info with the source files. (Hypertext?)
-Then you could have this displayed...
-
-      proc_which_would_otherwise_be_too_long()
-      {
-	int local_var; /* pooh on globals */
-
-        <<do_some_stuff();>>
-	<<do_some_more_stuff();>>
-      }

Go to your nearby technical bookstore and look at copies of _TeX:_
_The_Program_ and _METAFONT:_The_Program_, by D. E. Knuth.

>If you clicked your mouse on the "do_some_stuff" area, the code would
>be expanded there. Click in the expanded area again, and it hides
>itself again. (If you work for one of those software companies, please
>do not patent this idea. Thank you. I hearby place it in the public
>domain.)

Too late :-)

WEB has other features that make it ugly, but this one in particular
is nice.