Redefining keywords (was Re: effect of free()

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Tue Sep 19 05:30:03 AEST 1989

When one wants to use or not use reserved keywords conditionally
depending on the choice of platform, a portable approach is to use
lookalike non-reserved keywords which are #defined to the null string or
to the reserved keywords as needed, e.g.

	#ifdef I86
	#define NEAR near
	#define FAR far
	#else
	#define NEAR
	#define FAR
	#endif

	 . . .

	extern FAR char *idstring;

	 . . .

	int NEAR *gettotal(int xflag)

This is far safer than trying to redefine "near" and "far" themselves.
I cannot sympathize with slightly lazy vendors here.
--
'We have luck only with women --    \\\     Tom Neff
          not spacecraft!'         *-((O    tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET