C history question

Barry Margolin barmar at kulla
Thu Sep 28 09:16:29 AEST 1989

In article <883 at friar-taac.UUCP> matthew at friar-taac.UUCP (Matthew Stier - Sun Visualization Products) writes:
>In article <29557 at news.Think.COM> barmar at think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
>|	allok = allok && a[i++] > b[j++]
>|then the side effects on i and j would be different from
>|	allok &= a[i++] > b[j++]
>|The first must NOT increment i and j when allok is true, while the
>|second MUST increment them in any case.
>Would you like to reword your last sentence?

I'll try.  I see I got the first clause backward, as well as using
confusing wording.

In the first case, i and j are incremented IF AND ONLY IF allok was
true.  In the second case, i and j must ALWAYS be incremented,
regardless of the old value of allok.
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar