type *var -- vs. -- type* var

SMITHJ at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu SMITHJ at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
Sat Sep 9 03:18:38 AEST 1989

I have been learning C++ from a book by Bjarne and he consistently declares
pointers with
	type* var;
rather than
	type *var;
At first I thought it was a C++ extension but when I tried it on my VAX/VMS
compiler it accepted the latter.  Why is this allowed?  It would be nice to
use type* to declare a series of pointers but this notation currently just
names the first var a pointer and the rest a regular variables.
i.e.
	int* x, y, z;
is equivalent to
	int *x, y, z;
rather than
	int *x, *y, *z;
as would be intuitive (to me anyway).

--
They have one big advantage over us:
		*they* know where they're going.

/* Jeffery G. Smith, BS-RHIT (AKA Doc. Insomnia, WMHD-FM)       *
 *    The Ohio State University, Graduate Physics Program       *
 *        3193 Smith Lab, Columbus, OH 43210  (614) 292-5321    *
 *    smithj at ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu                          */