two chars at once...

Seth Benjamin Rothenberg sr16+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 14 02:13:44 AEST 1989

We have a language-sensitive editor which maintains the code in
a parsed form.  Now, it generates Fortran.  I need to make it
generate C.  One of the nasty things it does is treat 2 characters
as a single 2-byte integer.  I have to convert the following
types of expressions
      if  "ax" = mystr         ->  if mystr[1]=>C1D9  (or something like that)
      mystr = "AX"

Should I just change this call to use macros, like
    if cmp2("ax", mystr);
    cpy2(mystr, "AX");
or is a more direct (kludgy?) way possible?

(I suspect I should avoid something like this as a hardware-dependency)

Thanks
Seth
sr16 at andrew.cmu.edu