Declaration within a loop.

Scott Amspoker scott at bbxsda.UUCP
Thu Sep 28 05:57:42 AEST 1989

In article <14743 at bfmny0.UU.NET> tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>For what it's worth AT&T's pcc on V/386 does share reuse stack space
>among all temp in-block variables.  Intel's C compiler does not though.
>I'm sure there are tons of other examples pro and con.

This is frequently poorly implmented.  I use local variables
in procedures mainly to save a little stack space (although
I don't do it very often).  In the following example:

proc()
   {
   if (...)
      {
      int i;
      }
   while (...)
      {
      int j;
      }
   }

the variables 'i' and 'j' may use the same location on the stack
frame.  Of course, this is a trivial example.  Some compilers, however,
simply give all local variables their own location.  I don't understand
that kind of laziness.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM