Uninitialized externals and statics

John Cowan cowan at marob.masa.com
Fri Sep 1 03:24:39 AEST 1989

In article <10870 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <10759 at riks.csl.sony.co.jp> diamond at riks. (Norman Diamond) writes:
>>Nope; they're still ascending.
>
>Oops, I stand corrected.  The magnitudes are descending but the values
>(being negative) are ascending.  Oh well, it was just an example.

Does the pANS still guarantee that the chars used in C programming (letters,
numbers, !@#$%^&*()_+ etc.) are non-negative?  K&R-1 made such a guarantee,
and it seems to be true on all "real" machines.  Only signed-byte machines
using EBCDIC and machines that use neither ASCII nor EBCDIC would violate
this rule.
--
Internet/Smail: cowan at marob.masa.com	Dumb: uunet!hombre!marob!cowan
Fidonet:  JOHN COWAN of 1:107/711	Magpie: JOHN COWAN, (212) 420-0527