Debugging versions of malloc and free (was Re: The free() thing)

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Mon Sep 18 01:57:32 AEST 1989

Hey, come on -- ANSI conformance should be a tool, not an obsession.  So
what if someone's DEBUG version of a program isn't conformant because it
plugs in a custom malloc().  Big deal!  You're not going to distribute
that version to mere users anyway.  Even if it would be nice to allow
other platforms to run it ("you say P:Squib 2.3 blew up with memory
error 5?  OK, rebuild it with -Dmalloc=mymalloc and mail me the output")
it's just a luxury, not an absolute requirement.  You do it where you
can get away with it (which will be plenty) and write off the rest.
--
'We have luck only with women --    \\\     Tom Neff
          not spacecraft!'         *-((O    tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET