quotes inside #if 0

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Sep 7 21:05:27 AEST 1989

In article <3626 at yunexus.UUCP> oz at yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) writes:
>In article <10935 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>C is not WEB.
>This is extremely pompous. That peculiar (WEB-like) utilization of CPP is
>not new. It is unusable now, and all you can say is mumble about
>"tokenizing preprocessors". if you have something useful to say, why not
>say it like the respectable oldtimer you are, instead of being boorish ??

Excuse me -- I didn't realize that X3J11's printing of a bunch of pieces
of paper caused your compiler to stop accepting your already nonportable
abuse of the preprocessor.

A lot of people say "the Standard broke [whatever]".  The proposed
Standard breaks nothing.  Standard-conforming C implementations may
well not produce the same results as others have been producing, but
there has always been that degree of variation among C compilers.
The one thing the Standard does is make it simpler to assure program
portability among Standard-conforming compilers, for which the rules
are relatively clearly defined.

I think a lot of these gripes are the result of enhanced awareness
about variations in (already existing!) C environments that discussion
about the proposed Standard brings out.