source for included included files

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Sep 13 03:00:28 AEST 1989

In article <249 at servio.UUCP> penneyj at servio.UUCP (D. Jason Penney) writes:
>So here is a philosophical question, to which I would appreciate REPLIES
>and not FOLLOWUPs:  what is the use of double-quote includes?

Since this information is probably of general interest, I'm posting it:
#include <stuff> officially obtains definitions from the implementation,
while #include "stuff" officially gets them from source files (header
files) provided with the program.  <stuff> can actually be built into
the compiler, for example, and in general may not be something you can
conveniently add to.  There is no C-language requirement for anything
like the UNIX "cc -Iwherever" facility.