type *var -- vs. -- type* var

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Sep 12 13:21:50 AEST 1989

In article <1014 at m3.mfci.UUCP> karzes at mfci.UUCP (Tom Karzes) writes:
-In article <10992 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
->In article <12813 at pur-ee.UUCP> lewie at ecn-ee.UUCP writes:
->>Because there's no explicit separator between declarations and statements,
->>you'll never be able to declare pointers as such.  Isn't C syntax fun?
->Anyone who programs in C frequently declares pointers as such.
-This statement is a nonsequitur.  C programmers do frequently declare
-pointers to ints, but they certainly don't use the above syntax to do
-so, which is what you unwittingly claimed.

I got a note from lewie; it turns out that the misunderstanding lies in
the usage of the phrase "as such".  He meant in the cast-like format.
I would have said "like that" instead of "as such"..