BEST MSDOS C EDITOR?

Seppo Syrjanen syrjanen at cs.Helsinki.FI
Wed Sep 6 21:13:34 AEST 1989

In article <1438 at hiatus.dec.com> grasmann at atps.dec.com (Aspirations of a
higher nature) writes:
>In article <21743 at cup.portal.com>, cliffhanger at cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer)
writes...
>>I'm about to start some C programming
>>on MSDOS and was wondering what
>>the best editor was to use.
>>
>>Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!
>>
>>Cliff
>
>How about Turbo C?  The editor is built-in, and has some nice features for
>structuring your C program file...
>
>Steve Grasmann	grasmann at atps.dec.com

There IS a point using the editors in integrated programming environments.
At least I prefer following features of TC over using a separate, although
better, editor:

 -Error messages are obtained to a separate window, cursor is positioned
  at the error.
 -Switching between files could't be more much easy: cursor is positioned
  to the position where it was when the file was last edited, switching to
  the previous file needs only one keystroke. This feature more or less
  compensates the lack of multifile capabilities.
 -Compiler/linker/environment are easily configured by menus.
 -Debugger.
 -On-line language help.
 -Project files (=make).

The alternative way to do this is to use a separate editor, compiler and
debugger, make and (possibly) a separate pop-up help program.

If TC contained only editor and compiler, I would be tempted to use a
separate editor, but even the time it takes to load all necessary support
programs makes it too clumsy for me. The integration of TC and QuickC is a
very heavy thing to consider here. So, if the editor isn't worlds
greatest one, its integration to compiler and debugger makes it more
attractive choice.

  Seppo Syrjanen                      Internet : syrjanen at cc.Helsinki.FI
  Computing Center                    BITNET   : syrjanen at finuha.bitnet
  University of Helsinki              Phone    : +358 0 708 4132
  Finland       "Cyborg's gotta do what cyborg's programmed to do." -ABC